PURPOSE OF POLICY
This Privacy and Cookies Policy (the ‘Policy’) is for the website of www.smd.co.uk, which is referred to in this policy as the ‘Site’.
We take your privacy very seriously and we ask that you read this Policy carefully as it contains important information about how we collect, process, store and protect your personal data through your use of the Site, including any data you may provide through the Site.
CONTROLLER AND CONTACT DETAILS
The SMD Group is made up of different legal entities. In the UK, these are Specialist Machine Developments (SMD) Limited as parent company and Soil Machine Dynamics Limited, SMD Offshore Support Limited and SMD Robotics Limited as wholly owned subsidiaries.
This Privacy and Cookies Policy is issued on behalf of the SMD Group, so when we mention “SMD”, “we”, “us”, or “our” in this Privacy and Cookies Policy, we are referring to the relevant company in the SMD Group responsible for processing your data. Soil Machine Dynamics Limited is the controller and responsible for this website and its registered address is at Turbinia Works, Davy Bank, Wallsend, Tyne and Wear, NE28 6UZ, UK.
If you have any questions about this Policy please email email@example.com.
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the UK regulator for data protection issues (www.ico.org.uk). We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the ICO so please contact us in the first instance.
THE PERSONAL DATA WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal data about you which we have grouped together as follows:
- Identity Data may include first name, last name or similar identifier, title, the company you work for and your job title.
- Contact Data includes email addresses and telephone numbers.
- Technical Data may include internet protocol (IP) address, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, and other technology on the devices you use to access this Site.
- Usage Data may include information about how you use our website.
- Marketing and Communications Data includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us.
We may also collect, use and share Aggregated Data such as statistical or demographic data for any purpose. Aggregated Data could be derived from your personal data but is not considered personal data in law as this data will not directly or indirectly reveal your identity.
We do not collect any Special Categories of Personal Data about you.
HOW WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL DATA
- Direct Interactions. You may give us your identity and contact data by filling in the ‘Contact Us’ form on the Site and/or by requesting to be added to the SMD Mailing List.
- Automated Technologies or Interactions. As you interact with our Site, we will automatically collect technical data about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns. We collect this personal data by using cookies and other similar technologies. Please see the Cookies section of this Policy for more information. Technical data may also be provided to us from third parties, such as analytics providers and search providers.
USE OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. We determine the lawful basis based on the purposes for which we have collected your personal data. The legal grounds for processing your personal data are:
- When we process a request or query you submit via the ‘Contact Us’ section of the Site, and to provide you with a response.
- To administer and protect the Site, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, maintenance, and the reporting and hosting of data.
- When we use technical data and data analytics to monitor and improve our Site and user experience.
- Should you subscribe to our mailing list and we contact you about other products and services we think may be of interest to you. You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time by unsubscribing (either by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of each email campaign or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org requesting to be unsubscribed).
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
No personal data is shared with any third parties outside of the SMD Group without your permission, with the exception of the company that operates this Site, in accordance with the purposes detailed in the ‘Use of Your Personal Data’ section above.
We do not transfer your personal data outside of the UK.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties on a need to know basis. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach when we are legally required to do so.
However, you should be aware that the use of the internet is not entirely secure and for this reason we cannot guarantee the security or integrity of any personal information which is transferred from you or to you via the internet.
We will only retain your personal data for as long as reasonably necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for. We may retain your personal data for a longer period in the event of a complaint or if we reasonably believe there is a prospect of litigation in respect to our relationship with you.
In some circumstances, you can ask us to delete your personal data. Please see the ‘Your Legal Rights’ section below for further information.
YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS
Under certain circumstances, you have rights under data protection laws in relation to your personal data. Depending on the personal data collected, you may have one or more of the following rights:
- Right to request access to your personal data;
- Right to the correction of your personal data;
- Right to request erasure of your personal data;
- Right to object to the processing of your personal data;
- Right to request a restriction to the processing of your personal data;
- Right to withdraw consent.
If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, please email email@example.com with the subject line “Subject Access Request”.
You will not normally have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal data (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. We may also contact you to ask you for further information in relation to your request to speed up our response.
We try to respond to all legitimate requests within one month. Occasionally it could take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests. In this case, we will notify you and keep you updated.
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
Other cookies may be stored on your computer by applications (apps), technologies or sites that are owned by and/or operated by other parties, including third party websites that are linked from our Site. The relevant third party’s cookies policy should be reviewed regarding their collection, storage and sharing practices.
This is Revision 3 of our Privacy and Cookies Policy and is dated 12 March 2021.